Silver Spring, MD asked in Land Use & Zoning, Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for Maryland

Q: My landlord did not provide detailed documents as stated in Md. Code, Real Property § 8-212.4. Should I still pay?

Water/sewage is stated on the lease which was signed on 2/01/2022, but as stated in Md. Code, Real Property § 8-212.4, I was not given proper information and only was given a notice on 6/26/2022 that I would have to pay water starting 9/1/2022. I just received my 1st bill this month and it’s dated for 6/1/2022-6/30/2022 for $93. I find that extremely high especially since I lived at my previous property and was on a Ration Utility Billing system and we paid $120 on avg for 3 months. At this rate my landlord is receiving roughly $279 every 3 months in a 2 bedroom apartment. I doubt homeowners pay that much and only 2 people live in it. How do I go about this and I’m sure they will use this to withhold me from moving out on 1/31/2023 since I would have unpaid water utility bills?

1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Request --in writing, and dated-- the detailed utility invoices for the property and how the amounts billed to you were calculated. Cite the code section. State that their request for payment does not meet the Code requirements for supporting documentation and billing details, and that upon proper presentation of the supporting information required by law, you will promptly pay any amounts due and owing.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.