Providence, RI asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Construction Law for Rhode Island

Q: How can I request to be reimbursed from a contractor on a plumbing job done incorrectly?

Contractor hired last year to redo bathroom. Installed shower valve wrong which lead to plumbing leaks. Had to hire a plumber to rip open walls and fix.

1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: A homeowner may file a complaint against a contractor who performed work on their home. A complaint can also be filed against those professionals the CRLB licenses. Complaints cannot be filed on work conducted on commercial properties.

The list of contractors includes, but is not limited to carpenters, siding installers, roofers, foundation installers, drywall installers, plasterers, insulation installers, ceramic tile installers, floor covering installers, swimming pool installers, masons, painters, chimney installers and fireplace installers.

Subcontractors and contractors may also file complaints against each other so long as the complainant is registered with the SBO.

To file a complaint against plumbers and irrigators, electricians, alarm businesses, telecommunications, hoisting engineers, and mechanical contractors, please contact the RI Department of Labor and Training.

has instructions to help with your contractor dispute in Rhode Island.

Consider contacting and engaging a practicing attorney to help you prepare, present, and press your case in court, if necessary.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.