San Antonio, TX asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Libel & Slander for Texas

Q: Is this situation slandered, defamation, something else? Is there something we can do about this?

My sister-in-law, who does have some mental issues, but is competent I guess, did the following this week.

She called my wife's employer and made outlandish claims that she was using their corporate resources to hack her businesses and her business computers.

She has no businesses in the 1st place. And I can assure that my wife couldn't hack anything.

But this didn't stop my wife from getting called in to the employer's HR office which was super stressful and greatly upsetting to her. I don't know if this goes on her record or anything like that.

Is there anything we can do to address this legally?

1 Lawyer Answer
Penny Wymyczak-White
Penny Wymyczak-White
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Have a lawyer send your sister in law a letter warning her to cease her behavior,

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.