Fort Worth, TX asked in Bankruptcy and Family Law for Texas

Q: Can I fill out a bankruptcy response to the court when I am owed spousal support? A motion to deny my stay was entered

Ex husband declaring bankruptcy, I have a default judgement and certificate of enforcement but have been unable to collect. I have an attorney, but each thing costs me money. In the divorce decree it states the ex must pay for my attorney fees, but since I have a default judgement, does that negate anything regarding attorney fees after the judgement? AND can I respond to the court just like his attorney did? The court date with the judge is in 3 days and I am the only one that truly knows him. He lied in the filing of the bankruptcy by not listing the business we owned (last 8 years) and devalued assets and gave the value of his Tesla as the cheapest on on the market. It is not the cheap one. He got the house, his paid for Tesla, and the dogs. I got an attorney bill for $27,000.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: No. He still owes you the money. Domestic support obligations are non-dischargeable. You can recoup your attorney fees up through the date of the order but you can always go back in and ask for more attorney fees bc if the bankruptcy.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.