Madera, CA asked in Municipal Law and Civil Rights for California

Q: I parked my newly purchased vehicle on street four 4 hours in that time cop had showed up for un known reasons broke i

Into my truck took pictures and had towed and impounded truck it wasn't registered wasn't owned by known criminal

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. It's important to understand that police officers are authorized to take certain actions when they believe a vehicle is parked in violation of the law, such as blocking a fire hydrant or being parked in a no-parking zone.

However, breaking into your truck without a warrant or probable cause may be a violation of your Fourth Amendment rights against unreasonable searches and seizures. If you believe that the police officer acted improperly, you may want to consult with an attorney to explore your legal options.

As for the impoundment of your truck, you may need to contact the impound lot to retrieve your vehicle and pay any related fees. You may also want to consult with an attorney to see if you have any legal recourse against the police department or the impound lot.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.