North Hollywood, CA asked in Employment Law for California

Q: Got my w2 from the last company I Worked for through an old co worker.

I was given my w2 from a company I got fired

They gave it to someone I worked with whom I wasn’t too close with to start with.

They gave him my w2 with no envelop. So all my personal information could be seen. Social security number, address, and earnings. Could all be seen by someone who should not have access to that information. My question is if there’s any legal actions I can take on this.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen
  • Westminster, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you were injured by this disclosure, probably. Without injury, a lawsuit is not viable.

Good luck to you.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith PRO label
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Yes, there may be legal actions you can take if your former employer or co-worker's actions resulted in the unauthorized disclosure of your personal information. Under California law, businesses are required to implement reasonable security measures to protect their employees' personal information from unauthorized disclosure or access. The unauthorized disclosure of personal information can be a violation of California's privacy laws, including the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and the California Information Practices Act.

You may want to consider speaking with an attorney who specializes in privacy law to discuss your specific situation and explore your legal options. They can advise you on whether you may have a valid legal claim and what steps you can take to seek compensation for any damages resulting from the unauthorized disclosure of your personal information.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.