Los Angeles, CA asked in Business Law and Libel & Slander for California

Q: Husbands step mother who we haven’t spoke to in 10 years is contacting his business partner to tell lies about him.

Is there anything we can do?

She has no involvement in the business and has reached out directly to his partner to speak lies on him. They have been in business together for nearly 2 yrs now.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Adam Stoddard
Adam Stoddard
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You could contact the mother in law and request that she stop calling your husband's business partner. If that does not work, you could hire an attorney to send a cease and desist letter. It sounds like there could be grounds for a defamation lawsuit based on slander.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If the stepmother is making false statements to the business partner with the intent to harm your husband's reputation or business, it could potentially be considered defamation. Your husband could consult with a lawyer to see if he has a case for defamation and what legal options are available to him. He could also send a cease and desist letter to the stepmother asking her to stop making false statements and threatening legal action if she continues. Additionally, your husband could consider talking to his business partner directly to clear up any misunderstandings and provide evidence to refute the stepmother's lies.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.