Capitol Heights, MD asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for District of Columbia

Q: I was terminated from my employer without any justification, they gave me a severance package but they want me to be

Available for 6 months. They have given other persons a much better severance package and they were of a different race and they had performance improvement plans. They want to give me one month salary and a Cobra pkg.

1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew T. Famiglietti
Matthew T. Famiglietti
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Washington, DC
  • Licensed in District of Columbia

A: If you believe that you are being discriminated against on the basis of race, and treated differently from other employees in regard to severance payments, then you need to consult a licensed discrimination lawyer in the District of Columbia as soon as possible. Most attorneys are providing consultation either over the phone or through Zoom due to the pandemic. I wish you the best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.