Blairsville, GA asked in Contracts, Criminal Law, Real Estate Law and Business Law for New York

Q: Tightly held family owned company in New York State.Hostile to minority shareholders.Criminal liability for actions?

Only 2 officers held 90% of shares.

Refused documents, Lied about stock agreements, used position to force actions of clear coersion.

Hid wills. Refused stock buyouts, zero dividend for 20+ years.

Used corporate financial capacity and derived income to buy real estate to enrich themselves.

Used each other as excuse to act fairly. Paid themselves 200 K per year minimum while company lost money. Refused to divulge offers from outside parties to buy the company. Refuse to divulge information on their personal lawsuit with each over wherein the Real estate purchased using Company valuation and cash flow.

Refusal to allow corporate council the ability to answer complaints of minority shareholders. No annual meetings, reports.

Would like jail term for these special gentlemen. Please advise on actions and requirements.

If you care about Justice and really dislike sociopaths this is a worthwhile endeavor.

Property remains in the hand of senior partner value more than 2 million

1 Lawyer Answer
Mathew Paulose Jr.
Mathew Paulose Jr.
  • Bronxville, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Greetings. You appear to want to know if you can forward your dispute to the police, district attorney, or some other law enforcement agency. Any citizen may forward their conflicts to a law enforcement agency; however, such agencies often will not involve themselves in matters they deem personal or private. Shareholder disputes are often personal or private and the proper avenue for redress is the civil justice system, not the criminal justice system. For example, a minority shareholder in a close corporation may bring a lawsuit against the other shareholders for breach of contract, among other claims. They may also even pursue a dissolution of the corporation under theories of oppression. These types of claims require a lawyer however. Please contact a good New York lawyer who will help you. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.