Winston-Salem, NC asked in Consumer Law, Civil Litigation and Gov & Administrative Law for North Carolina

Q: We bought a car, the dealer registered it to wrong person, temp tag now expired. Dealer now won’t reply.

We bought the car on the first of the year. Financing is fine, insurance is fine. Dealership issued a 30 day tag, which expired on the 30th. We now cannot drive the car, because the dealership never sent us a permanent plate when we realized they’d registered it to me and a complete stranger, as opposed to me and my spouse. We now no longer get any response to our requests for updates, and it’s been 2 weeks. We have no idea who to reach out to. The DMV doesn’t service these kinds of situations in our state, we only have tag offices and license offices. I don’t even know what kind of attorney I would need to call for help.

1 Lawyer Answer
Lynn Ellen Coleman
Lynn Ellen Coleman
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: The North Carolina DMV DOES have an office that handles these kind of claims called the "License and Theft Bureau".

Go to this link (copy and paste into your browser)

Turn OFF the sliders on the right of the map which are automatically set ONLY to find driver license and license plate. Turn ON the slider for "License and Theft Bureau". These offices are often only staffed a few days a week. Locate the onle in your county or the closest one to your county and contact them for further assistance. A dealer not issuing a permanent tag will get a phone call from an officer and you would be very surprised how fast they will respond. If they do not respond, the dealer can have its license to sell cars suspended, they can be fined, etcetera.

You should also file a complaint wiht the NC Attorney General (copy and paste this link)

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.