Austin, TX asked in Consumer Law, Identity Theft, Social Security and Landlord - Tenant for Texas

Q: I wanted to know if I could file a lawsuit against an apartment leasing company that allowed someone to open a lease

Under my name without my consent while a credit freeze was placed in credit reports?

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Absolutely . But it may not be necessary.

Send the leasing company a letter demanding that it acknowledge that it allowed some to open a lease in your name without your consent and cc the landlord on that lease. Detail the evidence you have that the leasing company knew it wasn’t you and that you did not consent.

Then send a similar letter to the landlord notifying the landlord that you are not the individual who signed the lease and it was opened without your consent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.