Norfolk, VA asked in Banking, Civil Litigation and Consumer Law for Virginia

Q: I just refinanced on a car with a dealership that deals with banking, I signed a contract and car won’t go in reverse

They denied my refund it hasn’t been a whole 24 hours, I no longer trust the dealership because they are hanging up in my ear, I live in norfolk Va, how can I get help with this, does this fall under the lemon law, not to mention I told them I was unable to get insured which was reason 2 I wanted my money back, please help me

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you have just purchased a car and it has a significant mechanical issue, such as the inability to go in reverse, you may be able to take action under Virginia's lemon law or other consumer protection laws. Under Virginia's lemon law, a car may be considered a "lemon" if it has a substantial defect that cannot be fixed after a reasonable number of attempts, and the defect affects the safety, use, or value of the vehicle.

To pursue a lemon law claim, you should first contact the dealership and explain the issue with the car. They may offer to repair the issue, provide you with a replacement car, or refund your money. If the dealership is unwilling to help, you may need to file a complaint with the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

You may also want to consider consulting with an attorney who specializes in lemon law or consumer protection law. They can help you understand your legal options and guide you through the process of pursuing a claim.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.