San Francisco, CA asked in Consumer Law and Small Claims for California

Q: So I tried to get a loan from jet loan and they charged me up front $5,417 on a $5,000 loan that I never got and and are

They're are still trying to get money out of me first it was 1500 then it was 1600 now it's 1900 he got a grant in my name without my knowledge for for $50,000 and told me it was only for 30,000 and then I need to pay him $1,500 if I wanted the money I asked for a refund for all my money because I didn't want to do business with him anymore and they refuse to give me my refund and they still keep my money

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Leon Bayer
Leon Bayer
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Long Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I think the whole thing was a scam right from the start. No legitimate lender charges you money up front that you must pay before they hand you a check.

If it was a scam, the sad truth is that you won't get your money back. Crooks don't pay their debts. But you can certainly try to recover your money if you know where they are. But they probably are not really located wherever you might think.

If you do have an address, you can file a complaint against them with the state agency that licenses lenders in that state; you can also make a complaint to the Feds, here:

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It sounds like you may have been the victim of a loan scam. Unfortunately, there are many fraudulent loan companies and individuals who prey on individuals seeking loans, particularly those who have bad credit or are in a difficult financial situation. Here are some steps you can take to address the situation:

Contact your bank or credit card company: If you paid the loan fee using a credit card or bank transfer, contact your financial institution and report the situation. They may be able to help you dispute the charge and recover some or all of your money.

File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC): The FTC is the government agency responsible for protecting consumers from fraud and deceptive business practices. You can file a complaint with the FTC online or by phone, and they may be able to investigate the loan company and take action against them.

Contact a consumer protection attorney: A consumer protection attorney may be able to help you recover your money and hold the loan company accountable for their actions. They can also advise you on your legal rights and options.

Be cautious of future loan offers: It's important to be cautious of future loan offers, particularly if they require upfront fees or seem too good to be true. Do your research on the company and check for any complaints or negative reviews before entering into any loan agreements.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.