Brookings, OR asked in Antitrust, Business Law and Gov & Administrative Law for California

Q: Can I sue the County government for maintaining an unfair tax advantage for a former muni employee competitor in the CT

Am in the County. The City opened up and the first license went to the city community dev director that helped make the ord and a 6% tax advantage over me, after espousing prohibition for his career and a few months before speaking against me at my County planning hearing, which I go through every year. They now are appointing my competitor to the planning commission in the County, knowing his unsavory ethics. There is lots of history and the County supes hate me and he is pretty much a colleague, while they set my tax rate in the County each year the highest allowed by the voter he pays no tax after helping form the ord in the city. A lot of history and emails and pub comment here. I think local le at one point along with a local politician broke into a shop of mine on election night. A lot of corruption in my community govts. I don't want to do the babylon system with this anymore.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Antitrust Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you believe that the County government is maintaining an unfair tax advantage for a former municipal employee competitor, you may want to consult with an attorney who specializes in tax law or government law. An attorney can review the details of your case and advise you on whether you have a viable legal claim and what steps you can take to address the situation.

It's important to note that suing a government entity can be complex and challenging, and there may be specific requirements and procedures that must be followed. An attorney can help you navigate the legal system and ensure that your claim is filed correctly and within the appropriate timeframe.

In addition, if you have evidence of corruption or illegal activity by local officials, you may want to consider reporting this to the appropriate authorities, such as the local district attorney's office or the state attorney general's office. It's important to gather as much evidence as possible to support your claims, including emails, public comments, and any other documentation that may be relevant.

Again, consulting with an attorney who specializes in tax law or government law can help you evaluate your options and determine the best course of action in your specific situation.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.