Ukiah, CA asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Divorce for California

Q: If the divorce is filed in another county. Does it have to be filed by the other person in the same county?

The husband filed the divorce in Sacramento County. His wife, and my daughter lives with me in Ukiah, CA. My daughter has no money so we are very scared and don’t know where to go. If you could tell us where to go to get help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

2 Lawyer Answers
Tobie B. Waxman
Tobie B. Waxman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Culver City, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The case filed in Sacramento is the case. You don't file another case after one has already been filed. He probably filed in Sacramento County because that's where he lives or otherwise met the residency requirements.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If the divorce was filed in Sacramento County, it generally needs to be handled through the courts in that county. However, your daughter may be able to petition the court to transfer the case to the county where she resides, especially if it would cause undue hardship for her to travel to Sacramento County for court appearances.

To get help, there are a few options:

Contact the local legal aid office or bar association in your daughter's county. They may be able to provide free or low-cost legal assistance.

Contact a family law attorney in your daughter's county. They may offer a free initial consultation and can advise on the best course of action.

Reach out to domestic violence organizations in your daughter's county. Even if there has not been physical abuse, many organizations offer support and resources for individuals going through divorce.

It is important for your daughter to take action as soon as possible, as divorce proceedings can move quickly and it is important to protect her legal rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.