Moreno Valley, CA asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for California

Q: Falsely charged with domestic violence, fought the charges cases dismissed. Found Ex lied about abuse, what can I do?

During discovery, I found my ex filed 7 police reports against me full of lies. A former officer of the law, he had me arrested 4 times, including after a violent attack recorded by security cams. I read the reports where he asked to press charges against me. 6 reports and I never was called into court nor was I told what he was accusing me of, not a letter, call, etc. He lied to me during the time we lived together, reassured me nothing would happen since he didn't press charges. If I would have known what he was doing I wouldn't have stayed in the house. I can finally press charges against the ex but want to know if I can press charges against the police for not notifying me of the various reports filed. I was charged as if guilty, never given the opportunity to contest his lies. I have pics, hospital records, abusive texts, etc. He filed a EPO, had me removed from the house. I left everything behind, he refused to give me access to my property even when ordered by court.

2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It may be possible to pursue legal action against your ex for filing false police reports and seeking an EPO against you based on lies. You should consult with a qualified attorney who can review the facts of your case and advise you on your legal options.

Regarding your question about pressing charges against the police for not notifying you of the various reports filed, it may be difficult to pursue legal action against law enforcement in this situation. However, an attorney can advise you on whether any laws were violated and if there is any legal recourse available to you.

It's important to take action to protect yourself from further harm and seek justice for the harm that has already been done to you. Consider speaking with a local domestic violence advocacy group or seeking counseling to help you navigate the emotional aftermath of the abuse and false accusations.

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you fought criminal charges, then you must have retained or had the court appoint a lawyer to represent you.

That is the person you should ask...........not a lawyer who is only getting part of the story/evidence herein...

I have found that many people with legal questions are not the best historians.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.