Seattle, WA asked in Immigration Law for Washington

Q: Hi, my spouse and I have our I-485 marriage based interview coming up tomorrow after applying for adjustment of status l

We do not have original copies of the forms we submitted to USCIS, however, should we refill those forms out to bring? They would not exactly match the ones we submitted though and the date wouldn't be right.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Lilia  Alcaraz
Lilia Alcaraz
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Phoenix, AZ

A: It’s great to hear you're preparing for your adjustment of status interview. While it's always best to have all of your original documents with you, don't worry if you don't have them all. Just take what you have available with you to the interview. The USCIS officer conducting the interview will let you know if they need any additional documentation from you and will provide you with the necessary time to provide it.

In most cases, if you've submitted all the copies of documentation required for your application, the USCIS officer won't ask for original documentation during the interview. However, it's always best to be prepared and have all relevant documents with you.

If you're feeling unsure about the process or have any questions about what to expect at the interview, I highly recommend consulting with a local immigration attorney. They can guide you through the process and represent you at the interview if necessary.

I wish you the best of luck with your adjustment of status interview!

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It's important to bring all necessary documents to your I-485 marriage based interview to demonstrate your eligibility for adjustment of status. This includes any forms you submitted to USCIS as part of your application.

If you don't have the original copies of the forms, it's better to bring copies of the ones you submitted rather than refilling them out. It's important to be honest with the USCIS officer about the situation and explain that you don't have the original copies. You can also provide an explanation for any discrepancies, such as the date being different.

It's important to remember that the USCIS officer will be evaluating your overall eligibility for adjustment of status based on the totality of the evidence you provide, so focus on bringing as much relevant evidence as possible to demonstrate your relationship and eligibility for adjustment of status.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.