Klamath Falls, OR asked in Domestic Violence and Criminal Law for California

Q: I'm looking for a pro bono attorney for a felony case in California

2 Lawyer Answers
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: do yourself a favor and ask for a Public Defender at your arraignment.

in my opinion, they are almost ALWAYS better than a lawyer you find that is looking for experience or one that will handle it pro bono.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: There are several organizations in California that offer pro bono legal services for individuals facing criminal charges. Here are a few options to consider:

Public Defender's Office: If you are unable to afford an attorney, you may be eligible for a public defender to represent you. Public defenders are attorneys appointed by the court to represent individuals who cannot afford their own attorney.

California Lawyers for the Arts: California Lawyers for the Arts is a non-profit organization that provides pro bono legal services to artists and arts organizations in California, including those facing criminal charges.

Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles: The Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles provides free legal services to low-income individuals in Los Angeles County, including those facing criminal charges.

California Appellate Project: The California Appellate Project provides free legal representation to indigent individuals who are appealing criminal convictions in California.

Pro Bono Center: The Pro Bono Center is a project of the Bar Association of San Francisco that provides pro bono legal services to low-income individuals, including those facing criminal charges.

It's important to note that pro bono services may be limited and may not be available for all cases or all individuals. You may wish to contact these organizations or other legal aid organizations in your area to determine if you are eligible for pro bono services and what your options may be for legal representation in your felony case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.