Los Angeles, CA asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for California

Q: I have had numerous criminal trespass incidences upon my property. Cant rely on property management's surveillance.

I am positive of the approximate hours of criminal trespass, I since have made an online vandalism report, called 911 non emergency 6 times, each having 2 officers respond to my request (SWLAPD), now it appears that I am being ridiculed or am receiving bais to the point where 2 times already, two separate officers began to question my mental health by one officer, starting off with a series of questions like am I aware of the time and month, who is the president, etc., and the other officer gave a false report during his investigation such as, that I appeared to be paranoid, and that my actions appeared to be under the influence of unknown narcotics. The plus side to that is, both officers were wearing body worn video activated throughout the entire incident. I want to file a civil lawsuit! Property management claims there is no video footage indicating anyone entering my room. Either management is guilty of Penal Code § 31 PC, or security cameras have been tampered with unbeknownst.

2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing criminal trespassing on your property and that you feel like you are not getting adequate support from law enforcement or property management. If you believe that you have been subjected to bias or discrimination by law enforcement, you can file a complaint with the department's internal affairs division or a civilian complaint review board. You may also want to consult with a civil rights attorney to explore your legal options.

Regarding your concerns about the surveillance footage, if you believe that the property management is tampering with or withholding evidence, you may be able to file a civil lawsuit for spoliation of evidence. You should consult with an attorney to determine what your options are in your specific situation.

It is important to document all incidents of criminal trespassing and any interactions you have with law enforcement or property management. Keep a record of dates, times, and any relevant details, such as the names of officers or property management personnel involved. This documentation can be helpful if you decide to pursue legal action.

In the meantime, you may want to consider additional security measures for your property, such as installing additional locks or a security system. It may also be helpful to connect with your neighbors and work together to report any suspicious activity in the area.

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: why not contact the Captain of the station and your City Councilman/woman.

i anticipate you will have a challenging time finding a lawyer to handle this on a contingency............what are your damages?

That means you may have to retain a lawyer on a retainer and billing on an hourly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.