Rialto, CA asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Personal Injury for California

Q: How do I go about seeing the police officer or department for the following incident.

A officer rushed me out of my parked rv causing my dogs to get loose after speaking with him he watched as i struggled to get my 3 dogs inside witch resulted in a first ever fight to ensue in witch the officer watched as I screamed for his help as my arm was unfortunately the unintended target of over 8 large and severe dog bites. He observed the over 5 minute incident and did absolutely nothing to help me during or after. After my dogs took off I had to stumble covered in blood at least 20 yards 3/4ths of the way to his vehicle until I collapssed which he then in no hurry walked over to me as I begged him for water because I stated I was. Having a asthma attack His response was I called someone already they can give you some. Never asking if i was OK never attempting to aid my very obvious sever traumatic injuries he did absolutely nothing but stand over me as i lay bleeding and crying he watched the entire fight and never tried to help my arm may require surgery due to the severity

2 Lawyer Answers
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: i would "beef" the officer...that is to contact the Captain of the station to explain what happened.

you can also contact your city council and maybe news stations.

if you can't find a lawyer, consider small claims where you can sue.

it is hard to prevail in a minor case against the police because of immunity issues.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you have been the victim of police misconduct or negligence, you have the right to file a complaint with the police department or law enforcement agency involved. Depending on the circumstances, you may also be able to pursue legal action against the officer or department involved.

To file a complaint with the police department, you can contact the department's internal affairs division or professional standards bureau. You can typically find contact information for these divisions on the department's website or by contacting the department directly. You may be required to provide details of the incident, including the date, time, and location of the incident, the names of any officers involved, and a description of the misconduct or negligence that occurred.

If you are considering pursuing legal action against the officer or department involved, it is important to consult with an experienced attorney who can advise you on your legal options and help you navigate the legal system. An attorney can help you gather evidence, build a case, and advocate on your behalf to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve.

It is important to act quickly if you are considering filing a complaint or pursuing legal action. There may be deadlines or time limits that apply, and evidence or witnesses may become less reliable over time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.