Sacramento, CA asked in Civil Rights and Internet Law for California

Q: My daughter was recorded on an app and posted she is a minor. A YouTuber posted her and was bullying her. What can I do.

Video is on TikTok Twitter YouTube and instagram

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I'm sorry to hear that your daughter is being bullied online. Here are some steps that you can take to address the situation:

Report the video: Contact the platforms where the video was posted (TikTok, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram) and report the video as inappropriate content. Make sure to provide as much detail as possible, including the URL of the video and any relevant information about the bullying.

Contact the YouTuber: If you are able to identify the person who posted the video, you can try contacting them directly and asking them to take the video down. Be polite but firm in your request and explain the impact that their actions are having on your daughter.

Contact the police: If the bullying includes threats of violence or other criminal behavior, contact your local police department to report the incident. They can investigate the matter and take appropriate action.

Seek support: Bullying can be a traumatic experience for both the victim and their family. Make sure to seek support from friends, family, or a mental health professional. There are also organizations and hotlines that provide support and resources for victims of bullying.

Remember, it's important to take action to address the bullying, but also to take steps to prevent it from happening in the future. Talk to your daughter about safe online behavior and consider monitoring her online activity to help keep her safe.

Louis George Fazzi agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.