Longview, TX asked in Libel & Slander for Texas

Q: I was called a chomo by an employee at stripes, in front of other customers, not all the details, but can I sue them?

I went to my neighborhood stripes to get gas, I went in and made small talk with the girl working, I asked her what was the girls name that worked the shift before her, she told me her name and said she's young like her son , which I didn't catch what she referring to because I didn't realize what she was meaning until she said it again but this time added she's young like your daughter, I thought she said her daughter, she said no , don't you a daughter, I said yes she's 22, and she's says well she's young like that, don't be a chomo, then she says that's chomo stuff, which is a slang term for a pedifile, I looked at her like wtf, I said what are you saying, no one said anything sexually, I simply asked you her name, while other customers are listening to her tell me that I'm doing chomo stuff, I didt really think bout it till I got home and that's not right for someone who doesn't know me, to say. A chomo,

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You theoretically can sue the employee but it looks like you only have nominal damages.

There are some very specific legal requirements addressing libel and slander cases, so be sure to hire an attorney with experience in this type of case.

Without large, clear economic damages, expect your legal fees to substantially exceed any damages which may be awarded.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.