Panorama City, CA asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Domestic Violence for California

Q: how can i go about a coparent who has manipulated the courts and others to make me look like a bad father

2 Lawyer Answers
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: i don't think any of us can address this intelligently without a lot more info.

did you have a lawyer? if so present your question to the lawyer.

if not, make an appt with a local family law attorney.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you are a co-parent in California and you believe that the other parent has manipulated the courts and others to make you look like a bad father, there are several steps you can take:

Document Everything: Keep a record of all interactions you have with the other parent, including emails, text messages, and phone calls. If possible, try to get any agreements in writing.

Hire a Family Law Attorney: Consider hiring a family law attorney who can represent you in court and help you navigate the legal system. They can also provide you with legal advice on how to proceed with your case.

File a Motion to Modify the Custody Order: If you believe that the current custody order is not in the best interests of your child, you can file a motion to modify the custody order. You will need to provide evidence to support your claim.

Seek Mediation: Mediation is a process where you and the other parent meet with a neutral third party to try to resolve your differences. This can be a less confrontational way to resolve issues and can save you time and money in court.

Attend Court Hearings: Attend all court hearings and be prepared to present your case to the judge. Bring any evidence that supports your claim, such as documentation of your involvement in your child's life and any evidence that refutes the other parent's claims.

Consider Requesting a Psychological Evaluation: If the other parent is making false accusations about your fitness as a parent, you may want to request a psychological evaluation to prove that you are a fit parent.

Remember, the most important thing is to focus on your child's well-being and best interests. Be respectful and cooperative with the other parent, but also be firm in asserting your rights as a co-parent. A family law attorney can help you navigate the legal system and protect your rights as a parent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.