San Leandro, CA asked in Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for California

Q: What should I do in this situation?

Old attorney doesn’t want to represent me anymore in discriminatory claim, it’s very difficult to find an attorney to take my claim. Any suggestions?

2 Lawyer Answers
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: When a lawyer "bows out" it is usually an indication that the case either no longer appears to have value; it will cost to much to go to trial, and there will be nothing left for the client ...or there is a challenge dealing with the client.

Remember, you are asking a lawyer to gamble his/her money by retaining experts and costs. Sometimes a lawyer makes a decision that s/he can win the case but that after the lawyer takes his/her percentage and reimburses for bills paid, there would be nothing left for the client...or there is no money for the client and that the costs exceed what is available. The client is technically responsible for the fees. Thus the clients could get 0 and still owe money to the lawyer for the costs.

The only thing you can do is try to find another lawyer willing to gamble with you on a contingency, or you retain a lawyer on an hourly.

1 user found this answer helpful

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: One option could be to see if it's possible to set up free initial consult with other attorneys you might find online through your searches, checking with attorney referral resources of local/state bar associations, or the tab above, "Find a Lawyer." Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.