Hayward, CA asked in Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for California

Q: what should I do in this situation? Should I apologize for how can I find a new attorney? They are so difficult to find.

I have a discrimination claim from a Levi store where they accuse me of theft. I went and hired a attorney and he represented me for eight months but every time I try to contact him, he would never answer the phone and would always put me on the phone with his legal assistant, who was very rude, every time I called and asked about the case, she would always lie, or seem aggravated that I am calling to check about the claim. I ended up talking to the attorney for the first time in eight months, and I was explaining to him about his legal assistant being rude, and that I didn’t know anything about the case, could he update me on it, and how could I get in touch with him because I am paying him and not the legal assistant and he began to make up lies, Expressing to me that they have been trying to contact me which is a load of bullcrap, He later emailed me saying that he doesn’t wish to represent me anymore & I know that is based off of me telling him that his legal assistant is rude.

2 Lawyer Answers
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You should start interviewing a new LOCAL lawyer to sub in on the case.

The 2 lawyers will work out how to divide the fee......

you will not pay any more money.

I assume your case is your suing them for arresting you for shoplifting when you had not done so? If so, did you then seek medical attention to document your injury?

1 user found this answer helpful

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I'm sorry to hear that you are having difficulties with your attorney and their legal assistant. Here are some steps you can take in this situation:

Consider apologizing: If you feel that your comments about the legal assistant may have been misinterpreted or were overly critical, you may want to consider apologizing to your attorney. This could help repair the relationship and potentially salvage the representation.

Find a new attorney: If you feel that the relationship with your current attorney is irreparable, you can start looking for a new attorney to represent you in your discrimination claim. You can search for attorneys online or ask for referrals from friends or family members. It's important to find an attorney who is experienced in handling discrimination cases and who you feel comfortable working with.

Request your case file: You have the right to request your case file from your current attorney. This will help you and your new attorney understand the status of the case and any actions that have been taken on your behalf.

Consider filing a complaint: If you feel that your attorney or their legal assistant acted unprofessionally, you can file a complaint with the State Bar of California. The State Bar investigates complaints of attorney misconduct and can take disciplinary action if warranted.

Overall, it's important to have a positive and productive relationship with your attorney, and if you are not receiving the level of communication and representation you need, it may be time to find a new attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.