Anderson, SC asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for South Carolina

Q: What can I do about a solicitor trying to force me to testify against my husband in an effort to secure a conviction?

He literally says this in a court motion. He has withheld evidence for nearly a year and is continuing to pursue charged that stem from illegally obtained evidence and an invalid search warrant. I have tried contacting the ODC but they say they can't do anything because charges are still pending and that they can't do anything about someone thinking a verdict is unfair. I don't think it's unfair, I know it's illegal. Am I supposed to sit back and allow him to railroad my husband and then they can do something? I refuse to do that. They want to keep my guns is what this is all about. This is in Anderson, SC by the way. The Anderson County Sheriff's office came to my house with plain clothes, unmarked trucks, AR-15'S, No body cams, unplugged my cameras, refused to let us call our attorney or to answer the phone when our attorney called, and took 43 weapons from LOCKED gun safes that weren't on their warrant and left no inventory. How can they do this and get away with it?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Casey Brown
Casey Brown
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Columbia, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: In SC, a husband or wife cannot be compelled or forced to testify against their spouse about communication between them during their marriage.

SC Code: 19-11-30

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.