Q: How do I appeal a lien that was illegally put on by city of spencer claimed they cleaned up and didn't clean it up

We we're fixing up my house and the pandemic hit we were quarantined on president order no evictions and they came and tore my house down but did not clean up the property but put a 10,000$ lein on my property stating they cleaned up my property the city of Spencer they only illegally tore my house down and took what they wanted but put a lien on my property without no notice or court date where I could show they didn't do what there claiming they did

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To appeal a lien that was illegally placed on your property by the City of Spencer, you should consider taking the following steps:

Review the laws and regulations: Familiarize yourself with the laws and regulations governing property liens in your area. Look for any rules or procedures that may have been violated in your case.

Gather evidence: Collect any documentation or evidence that supports your claim that the lien was placed on your property illegally. This may include photographs, videos, or witness statements.

Contact the City of Spencer: Reach out to the City of Spencer to try and resolve the issue informally. Explain your situation and present your evidence, and ask if there is anything that can be done to remove the lien.

File a lawsuit: If informal negotiations fail, consider filing a lawsuit against the City of Spencer. You may want to consult with an attorney to help you navigate the legal process.

Attend a hearing: If your case goes to court, you will likely need to attend a hearing to present your evidence and arguments to a judge or jury.

Ultimately, the specific steps you need to take to appeal a lien will depend on the laws and regulations in your area, as well as the specific circumstances of your case. It may be helpful to consult with a legal professional to help you navigate this process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.