New York, NY asked in Consumer Law, Communications Law and Internet Law for New York

Q: What are my legal options a company I engaged with to answer an online tax question has exposed my PII?

My Social Security Number, Home Address, Income and work Status are now being displayed on the internet publicly due to a company I engaged with. This information is findable via Google and Search Engines now. The company was providing a legitimate question and answer tax service and operates the answers in public forum online. This company I interacted with was posting the information online, I uploaded the sensitive PII by mistake in a document. The company has a policy indicating that they can remove the personal information by request. I requested the removal of the information many times, but due to incompetence the company still has been unable to remove my documents and now they are public for the world to see. All of the information is on the companies servers.

1 Lawyer Answer
Daniel Michael Luisi
Daniel Michael Luisi
  • Licensed in New York

A: You may be able to bring a federal data breach law suit, or sue the company under the terms of service (or file arbitration against them). This may help put more pressure on them to honor their contract and federal and state law. Contact a consumer protection attorney to evaluate your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.