Santa Paula, CA asked in Civil Rights, Gov & Administrative Law and Public Benefits for California

Q: My housing providing program has denied me a hearing on a disputed issue. How do I proceed?

My reasonable accommodations utility assistance is being discontinued without a hearing? I have repeatedly requested in writing for a hearing regarding this issue and I haven't been able to get a chance to be heard. I am disabled my minor Son who lives with me is also disabled. I have medical equipment that I use on a daily basis for respiratory issues. My housing program Brilliant Corners is threatening to stop paying utilities. They have been providing this reasonable accommodation for seven years. I live in a unit that has all exterior electricity connected to my meter and SoCal Gas has came and “Red Tagged” my furnace which means I don't have a working heater in the house. I want to take this issue to a higher authority because I feel as though I'm being targeted and my rights to a fair hearing are being denied.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If your housing program has denied you a hearing on a disputed issue related to reasonable accommodations for utility assistance, you may want to consider contacting a local legal aid organization or disability rights group for assistance.

Under federal and state laws, individuals with disabilities have the right to request and receive reasonable accommodations from their housing providers, including utility assistance. If your housing program is threatening to discontinue your utility assistance without a fair hearing, this may be a violation of your rights.

You may want to reach out to your housing program's management or administrative staff to request a hearing or to appeal the decision. If you are not able to resolve the issue through this process, you may want to consider filing a complaint with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) or the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH).

In addition, you may want to consult with an attorney who specializes in disability rights or fair housing law to determine your legal options and help you navigate the appeals process. They may be able to provide guidance on how to proceed and advocate for your rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.