Phoenix, AZ asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Arizona

Q: How should I title a house so that my share can go to my beneficiaries on my death?

My husband and I own three homes in Arizona as CPWROS. He has agreed that my share on two homes can go to my beneficiaries if I pre-decease him. I would file a beneficiary deed to accomplish this. I am sure the titles need to be changed from CPWROS. What is the best way to title the property so my wishes are met?

1 Lawyer Answer
David Gerszewski
David Gerszewski
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Chandler, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Your question is not as straightforward as you would think. It will depend how the houses are acquired as well. I would recommend you work with an estate planning attorney to design a strategy to accomplish your goals. A beneficiary deed will not necessarily accomplish it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.