Newburyport, MA asked in Civil Litigation and Small Claims for New Hampshire

Q: What happens when a small claims co-defendent gets notification of a small claims suit if they don't live at the address

My boyfriend was informed he was being sued as a co-defendent for items left at my house by a former friend of mine... but he does not live at my address. This person does not know his address... only that he stays at my house

1 Lawyer Answer
William J. Amann
William J. Amann pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Manchester, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: Typically, service is made by leaving a summons & complaint at someone's "abode" or residence. Some types of actions require serving a defendant "in-hand", such as Contempt Motions usually. Small claims probably just requires abode service. The Plaintiff should have to demonstrate proof of service and if your boyfriend's legal address is still legally your address then it sounds like the Plaintiff may try to show he was served.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.