New Hampshire Small Claims Questions & Answers

Q: My NH former Attorney forged my signature printed my name on a settlement check I got that off homeowners insurance

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts and Small Claims for New Hampshire on
Answered on Nov 5, 2018
Joseph Kelly Levasseur's answer
You can call the NH Professional Board of Conduct for attorneys and file a complaint. They will investigate and make a ruling on the matter. Good luck!

Q: Here it is. At 3 am Saturday morning my vehicle was towed. I didn't have sticker on was charged 280$ how can I fight it?

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for New Hampshire on
Answered on Apr 30, 2018
Joseph Kelly Levasseur's answer
This is not a civil rights issue. If it wasn't registered then the owner of the property has rights. You should have notified them about your car being on the property without an inspection sticker. If you can prove they knew it was your car and you were there legally you may have an argument, but some of these lots are patrolled by tow companies that look out for these types of cars and remove them.

Q: I was scammed buying a used car and am wondering if there is anything I can do to get my money back? (more info below)

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law and Small Claims for New Hampshire on
Answered on Apr 4, 2018
Joseph Kelly Levasseur's answer
You could call your local police department, and the Attorney generals office and file a complaint, they could investigate the allegation and if the mechanic did in fact pass a car and give you an inspection sticker illegally, take away his ability to give them out, fine him, or even charge him with a crime of fraud. You then may have a lawsuit against the seller and the mechanic for conspiracy if in fact it can be proven. If charges are brought and anyone of these guys are found guilty,...

Q: Can not identify New Hampshire small claims rule 4.1(D)(3) and 4.1(D)(3)(d) used by attorney filing complaint.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Collections and Small Claims for New Hampshire on
Answered on Mar 15, 2018
Joseph Kelly Levasseur's answer
I looked over the rules and I don't see them in there either. You can file a motion to dismiss for failure to state a claim for which relief can be granted and state the same reasons you stated here. He might be using old rules that have been updated and no one ever called him on it. The plaintiff will probably then simply amend his complaint, which the court will most likely allow. Good Luck!

Q: I am the Defendant in a small claims action filled by a person in Hampton NH for work I performed on a garage, convertin

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for New Hampshire on
Answered on Mar 2, 2017
Israel Piedra's answer
Even if everything you state above is true, you still need to prove it in court. If it's a significant amount of money, it may be worth hiring an attorney.

Q: I purchased a car in a private sale, car is unsafe, do i have any rights?

1 Answer | Asked in Lemon Law and Small Claims for New Hampshire on
Answered on Jan 21, 2017
Brian Lehman's answer
Yes, of course. Here is a link to a lawyer in New York that does Lemon Law:

He may be able to point you in the right direction since you are up in New Hampshire.

Q: My husband helped someone move and now they are saying he broke something. Do we have to pay? He says he didn't break it

2 Answers | Asked in Small Claims and Contracts for New Hampshire on
Answered on Sep 28, 2016
Israel Piedra's answer
He doesn't HAVE to pay anything until a Court orders him to. If the A/C is really that old, it's probably not worth much and I find it unlikely that someone would file a lawsuit (and pay a filing fee) for such a small amount. Even if they did file a lawsuit, they'd need to prove negligence or some other reason your husband is liable for the cost of the A/C.

Q: (Small Claims) Is there a law that states the defendant must provide evidence prior to hearing?

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for New Hampshire on
Answered on Jul 18, 2011
Burton A. Padove's answer
You may want to check the New Hampshire Statutes for discovery requirements in small claims cases..

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.