Columbia, MD asked in Family Law and Immigration Law for Maryland

Q: So I’m from italy, I am 17 and I came in USA 4 years ago, now I’m going back there to start university but my abusive mo

So I’m from italy, I am 17 and I came in USA 4 years ago, now I’m going back there to start university but my abusive mom doesn’t want to renew my passport and I’ll have to wait till Im 18 but University things are starting now, can I still do something to make her do what she should? (I still have the italian citizenship)

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you are an Italian citizen, you may be able to obtain a new passport from the Italian consulate in the United States without your mother's cooperation. It is important to contact the Italian consulate and explain your situation to them. They may require documentation, such as a birth certificate or proof of enrollment in a university, to issue a new passport. You may also want to consider seeking legal advice or counseling services to address your abusive situation with your mother.

Carl Shusterman
Carl Shusterman
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA

A: You may be able to apply for a passport from the Italian Consulate closest to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.