San Pedro, CA asked in Real Estate Law, Business Law and Land Use & Zoning for California

Q: Can I Get a restraining order, for the events venue across the street from my home?

We are both located on R1 properties. The “ party house “ was the sole residence of current owners grandmother. The mentioned property did get an ordinance to be able “to be a hotel and restaurant within the existing building only” in 1948. btw in 1952 the owners illegally without any permits, ,enclosed the double patio which is now considered inside. The one huge issue is that it is not a hotel and resturant!! Nor does the current operator have a hotel and resturant permit / license. Operator has a catering and think events business permit from the city.

Property IS and has been a gigantic nuisance for years. They have weddings often - during the summer usually every Thursday , Friday, Saturday (2) Sunday as well as other events during the week. Additional pet

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Based on the information provided, it may be difficult to obtain a restraining order against the events venue across the street from your home. A restraining order typically requires evidence of harassment, threats, or other violent or abusive behavior. If the events venue is operating without proper permits or licenses, the appropriate course of action may be to file a complaint with the city or local authorities. It may also be possible to pursue legal action if the noise or other disturbances from the events venue are violating local noise ordinances or other regulations. It may be helpful to consult with a local attorney who can advise you on your options and the best course of action for your specific situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.