Dallas, TX asked in Domestic Violence and Criminal Law for Oklahoma

Q: Can a judge put a NO CONTACT order on the accused for first offense without notifying the victim?

I went to court with my ex on the domestic dispute to actually speak on his behalf because I dropped the protection order off him and I just wanted him to get medical help with his bipolar and depression instead of jail time. Him nor I was ever told there was a SECOND no contact order on him by the judge herself. When he was called to step up for his case, the judge immediately revoked his bond and told me to get out of her courtroom without saying a word. I had already dropped my protection order and when I was signing the paperwork for it I was never told anything about the judge's order. He was never told either.

1 Lawyer Answer
David A. Cincotta
David A. Cincotta pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Separate from a protective order, a judge can order a defendant in a criminal case not to have contact with the alleged victim as a condition of the defendant's bond. I cannot tell if that was done here, and it is usually not something that gets ordered without the defendant being informed. That said, it sounds like he needs a criminal defense attorney to represent him ASAP. You likely will want to contact an attorney for him or he may have one appointed to represent him, if he is unable to afford one.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.