Brooklyn, NY asked in Real Estate Law for New York

Q: I believe I am a heir to my mothers ties to a property her second husband had when he passed away.

My mother is also deceased. The property is up for foreclosure and an administrator was assigned I think. I've been getting pestered by investors to sell my share and the deceased family to sign forms last three years

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Carl Nelson
Carl Nelson

A: I’m not totally sure what your question is.

First I would suggest you obtain a better grasp on your interest(s) and who the relevant parties are (e.g. whether there is an administrator and whether you were in fact an heir to property).

Next I would be very cautious about anyone pestering to buy a property in foreclosure in which you have an interest; New York has a law called the home equity theft protection act to prevent against certain types of foreclosure-related sales.

Feel free to clarify what your question actually is, but I see your needing to consult with an attorney in your near future.

Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: I agree if someone wants you to sign something, you must have something of value that can be sold. More investigation would need to be done to determine what value to place on it, and whether you should cooperate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.