San Francisco, CA asked in Consumer Law and Small Claims for California

Q: If I receive a judgment order, do the documents have to be signed by a court clerk?

I received a Notice of Judgement documents that say Circuit Court of Multnomah, State of Oregon, but was sent from the address of the debt collector. The documents have, also, not been signed by a judge or a court clerk. Is this a valid judgement? Is a judge or a court clerk's signature required?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In most cases, a judgment order must be signed by a judge or a court clerk to be considered valid. The signature of a judge or court clerk serves as proof that the judgment was issued by a court of law and is legally binding.

It is possible that the document you received is not a valid judgment order, especially if it was not signed by a judge or court clerk. It is important to carefully review the document and determine if it is indeed a valid judgment order. You may want to consult with an attorney who can review the document and advise you on your legal options.

Additionally, if you are unsure about the validity of the judgment order, you may be able to request a copy of the official court record from the Circuit Court of Multnomah in Oregon. This can help you confirm whether the judgment was indeed issued by the court and whether it is legally binding.

In summary, a valid judgment order typically requires the signature of a judge or court clerk to be considered legally binding. If the document you received does not have a signature, it may not be a valid judgment order, and you may need to seek legal advice to determine your rights and options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.