El Paso, TX asked in Libel & Slander for Texas

Q: What is my defamation case worth ? defamation per se. A doctor wrote a report and stated that I have hiv. Should I sue

My sons doctor , stated that I have HIV in my sons medical records and he uploaded it to many places , I have already asked him to remove the false information through certified mail , he said he would do it and that it was a mistake but he has not removed it yet . My sons medical records have been released yesteday due to a medical malpractice case and now the false report is available to even more people now .

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: How much your case is worth depends on who sees that information, how it affects their perception of you, and how they change their treatment of you based upon that information.

If I were you, I would start keeping track of everyone who talks about you having HIV and how their actions toward you have changed. For example, “Frank told Bob that he doesn’t want to hang out with me anymore because I have HIV.”

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.