Port Clinton, OH asked in Employment Law, Employment Discrimination and Sexual Harassment for Ohio

Q: What should I do if I'm witnessing sexual harrasment at my job? The HR department knows, but it hasn't stopped.

My brother was fired from my current employer that my Father, and I still work at. This lead to a series of events of discrimination, ultimately people treating me poorly. Then, this lead to sexual harrasment that has been reported to the HR department, but the harrasment has not stopped. First it was against me and then it was against my father. I constantly have to shake my head and tell my harassers who are both a man and a woman working together to stop. It is a very unprofessional and hostile work environment that nobody should ever have to go through.

1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Newport Beach, CA

A: There are Federal laws and state laws prohibiting Sexual Harassment in employment. You said you are being harassed by both a man and woman, but you haven't described how you think this is sexual in nature. Are they asking you for sexual favors? And your father too? Not all harassment is sexual. Not all harassment is prohibited. For example, someone could say the boss is harassing them because they arrive 30 minutes late every day. Most of the time this isn't prohibited harassment, it is enforcing workplace rules. You need to speak with a local employee rights attorney and give them all the details of your situation that you haven't posted here, in confidence. Suggest you do so right away. Thank you for using Justia, Ask a Lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.