Columbus, OH asked in Consumer Law, Tax Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Business Law for Ohio

Q: been erroneously garnished by the tax dept I am looking for the best course of action after....

They think I am running a business that has been defunct for 9 years. I produced evidence that this was not the case and proof I made them aware of this years ago. I sent this to the tax office, Attorney General and the courts. They were dragging their feet so I contacted Ohio Senate and got them to call on my behalf. I have been told, by the tax office the error has been corrected and the attorney general will be notified. But no one has given me back my money nor removed these judgements leans and garnishments. I have been told I can file a motion to have the judgement vacated since I was not notified, I could file a declaratory lawsuit against the tax dept to have the judgement removed, and sue because Ohio has a statue of 6 years and no one should have tried to garnish me for something this old. I was told to contact Ohio Legal Assistance Foundation, Legal aid or Oh State Bar Asso and request referral for a promo bono or flat fee or commission attorney. What does Justia sug

1 Lawyer Answer
David Ostrove
David Ostrove
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA

A: Keep om writing to the authorities not less often then every three weeks. Explain everything, in detail. Do not give up. Eventually you will indeed get their attention and they will respond in a correct positive manner. Don't give up!


Attorney at Law

6157 Wooster Ave

L.A., CA 90056

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.