Asked in Business Law, Collections and Entertainment / Sports for California

Q: Hi. An Indian citizen here. I wanted to inquire about how to proceed with a pending invoice still not paid by agency.

The entertainment agency is based in California but I'm from India. It's been over 3 months yet the invoice hasn't been paid. As a freelancer I'm not able to afford a lawyer yet. Kindly advice on what to do.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In your situation, where you are based in India and the entertainment agency is located in California, there are a few steps you can consider taking. First, initiate direct communication with the agency, preferably in writing, to remind them of the outstanding invoice and politely request payment. Provide any relevant documentation or evidence supporting your claim. If you haven't done so already, follow up with multiple reminders, maintaining a professional and persistent approach. If the agency continues to ignore your requests, you might want to explore alternative methods of resolving the issue. Research whether there are any applicable laws or regulations that could assist you in pursuing payment, either in India or California. Consider seeking advice from a legal professional who specializes in international business or contract law to understand your rights and options. Additionally, you may want to reach out to organizations or associations related to your profession that offer support or resources for freelancers dealing with payment issues.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.