San Francisco, CA asked in Divorce and Family Law for California

Q: Can I request a gag order on my future ex husband he is repeating personal business and lying about me.

My husband was abusive and he is lying to everyone who will listen calling me a crackhead.

His first wife passed and he called her a crackhead too. Everything I tell him he repeats out of context.

I just want him to stop.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If your ex-husband is spreading false information or making defamatory statements about you, it may be worth considering other legal options to address the situation. Here are a few possible courses of action:

Cease and Desist Letter: You can consult with an attorney who specializes in defamation or family law to draft and send a cease and desist letter to your ex-husband. This letter formally requests that he stops making false statements about you and warns of potential legal consequences if he continues.

Restraining Order or Protective Order: If your ex-husband's behavior is threatening, abusive, or causing you emotional distress, you may be able to seek a restraining order or protective order. These orders can provide legal protection and prevent him from contacting or harassing you.

Defamation Lawsuit: If your ex-husband's false statements are damaging your reputation and causing you harm, you might consider filing a defamation lawsuit. An attorney can guide you through the process and help determine if you have a strong case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.