Cincinnati, OH asked in Bankruptcy, Contracts, Civil Litigation and Communications Law for Ohio

Q: How can get my ex off the title of my car?

My ex and I bought a car together. I make all the payments, pay for the insurance and keep up on all maintenance. I am still making payments on the car to this day but I no longer live in the same state as when we purchased. The title is MI and I live in OH. He has since filed for bankruptcy and is no longer responsible for payments if I fall behind or stop paying, but is STILL on my title. I cannot transition the title to OH without him and he will not cooperate in meeting me at the title office (we both live pretty close to the border). I can’t afford the no fault insurance for MI any longer, and I can’t switch anything over to OH because he won’t meet with me get things transferred. How can I have him removed from the car title?

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: File a motion to have him execute the title in your divorce case as he has been relieved of liability for it by virtue of his bankruptcy.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.