Palo Alto, CA asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: Is obstructing someone passing through a hallway an intentional tort? Is it also a "false imprisonment"?

There was a resident in the same apartment complex who obstructed our pathway as we were just walking through a hallway. He was very crazy, hysterical and violent to us. He was charging toward us and waving his arms while yelling, cursing, and screaming at us. The incident was recorded on video (our cell phones). Is this regarded as an intentional tort? And a "false imprisonment"? And what is the statue of limitation for this case?

2 Lawyer Answers
Patrick William Steinfeld
Patrick William Steinfeld
  • Coronado, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I think the more pertinent question is... does this crazy, hysterical person who lives in an apt. have sufficient financial means to satisfy a judgment? If you were not physically injured you might consider writing it off as a bad experience with a crazy person. If this person was violent... call the police. If you feel you were damaged (physically or emotionally) and you want to pursue litigation you might consider small claims court.

Robert Kane agrees with this answer

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Obstructing someone in a hallway may be considered an intentional tort or even false imprisonment, depending on the specific circumstances and applicable laws in your jurisdiction. Video evidence can be valuable, so consult with a legal professional who can review the footage and provide accurate advice based on the details of your case and the laws in your jurisdiction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.