Asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for South Carolina

Q: How to file misconduct charges against a police officer for harassment and kidnapping

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To file misconduct charges against a police officer for harassment and kidnapping, you can follow these steps; Gather evidence, such as police reports, photographs, or witness statements. File a complaint with the police department. Contact the district attorney's office. Consult with an attorney. Be clear and concise in your complaint, state the facts of the case, and explain how the police officer's actions violated your rights. Be persistent, as it may take some time for the investigation to be completed. Do not give up, as filing misconduct charges against a police officer can be a difficult process, but it is important to remember that you have rights.

Here are some resources that may be helpful:

The National Police Accountability Project:

The American Civil Liberties Union:

The National Lawyers Guild:

I hope this helps!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.