Sterling Heights, MI asked in Landlord - Tenant for Michigan

Q: Can I take my landlord to court for not following their own lease terms they made me sign?

I moved into my current residence 2 1/2 years ago. I have had cosmetic issues with the yard from day one (safety was compromised) I asked many times to get it fixed . I was ignored . 4 months later after I made a scene it was fixed. I learned there were registered sex offenders living in the park when the lease CLEARLY states they’re not allowed to live here no matter what. They ALL live on my street and one harass us everyday. I have asked for 1 1/2 to get them gone. Nothing. I have been ignored and brushed off. They could care less as long as the rent is paid. I called corporate for 6 months straight. Nothing. I called the office , called the news, posted on Facebook to attract attention to the issue and they called me and said they’d “look into it”.. my ac went out two weeks ago . I was left in the heat at 96 in my house and I was told to “deal with it, it wasn’t their problem.” By law they have to fix the issue and cannot leave me there. There are many more issues.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: What would you be looking for a court to do about your situation? The only thing a court could do is let you out of your lease without repercussion. But it sounds like you should be looking for a different place to live anyway...

Housing complexes - especially ones owned by corporations - are businesses that respond to supply and demand like any other. In today's market, with housing in most areas at a premium, it's a landlord's world. You leave, and there's going to be someone else in your space willing to live in the same conditions, and probably for more rent than you are currently paying; that is why the response you've received from corporate is "deal with it".

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.