Billings, MT asked in Divorce and Family Law for Montana

Q: I’m in Montana. Recently divorced. How long does my ex have to collect property awarded

I have text an left a 30 day note in property he’s looked through.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Montana, the specific timeframe for your ex to collect the awarded property may depend on various factors, including the terms outlined in your divorce decree or settlement agreement. These documents typically specify a deadline or a timeframe within which your ex must collect their awarded property.

If you have already provided a 30-day notice to your ex regarding the property, that's a good step to ensure clear communication. It's essential to keep documentation of your communication, such as the text messages you mentioned, as evidence of your efforts to inform your ex about the property and the timeframe they have to collect it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.