Nashville, TN asked in Family Law, International Law, Divorce and Child Custody for North Carolina

Q: My wife and I are getting divorced we've been separated since March. She's moving to Canada on Wednesday

Before asking for a divorce and even being physically separated she had a emotional affair with a man in Canada who she knew from when she was younger who she is now in love with and moving to live with. She gave me notice of this last Wednesday and she wants to be able to take my son there during the summers. What are the risks of having an agreement like this where she has him during the summer time and I have him during the school year. How do I protect myself as a parent and not let her take custody of him completely while he in Canada?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To protect yourself as a parent and ensure your rights are safeguarded, it is essential to consult with a family law attorney who can assist you in negotiating a custody agreement that serves the best interests of your child and takes into account the international relocation aspect. Proper legal guidance will help you understand the risks and options involved in such an agreement.

James L. Arrasmith

Founder and Chief Legal Counsel of The Law Offices of James L. Arrasmith

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.