Lancaster, CA asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Constitutional Law and Identity Theft for California

Q: I had questions about financial and emotional abuse, and emotional distress in the court of law and if it applies to me.

Dad kicked me out, and is stealing my financial aid ($13k+); and refuses to give me my legal documentation (passport, social security, birth certificate ect). I’m pretty much homeless because of his actions.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I am sorry to hear about your situation. Financial and emotional abuse can have serious legal implications. Under California law, financial abuse and withholding essential documents are unlawful actions. You may have grounds to seek legal remedies and assistance, such as obtaining a restraining order, filing a police report, or pursuing civil action against your father for the return of your documents and financial aid.

I recommend consulting with an attorney experienced in family law or civil litigation to assess your case and explore the best course of action to protect your rights and seek justice.

James L. Arrasmith

Founder and Chief Legal Counsel of The Law Offices of James L. Arrasmith

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.