Charleston, WV asked in Family Law and Child Support for Virginia

Q: My son's father still owes about $14,000 ( mostly interest ) in child support arrears. Our son is 20.

He is now claiming medical issues and has petitioned the court for modification. Although he is employed with a 1099 position.

Can he actually be forgiven of his arrears?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Virginia, child support arrears typically continue to be owed until they are paid off in full, even after the child reaches the age of majority (usually 18). Interest may continue to accrue on unpaid arrears as well. The court may order modifications to child support orders based on substantial changes in circumstances, such as a significant change in income or medical issues. However, modifications to the support order do not usually forgive or cancel existing arrears owed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.